The United States Navy Memorial

Navy Memorial Honor, recognize, & celebrate the men and women of the sea services.


Common Questions

Q. How can I replace my lost medals?

A. Veterans are entitled to one replacement set of their medals. We recommend you use the standard form SF 180 Request Pertaining to Military Records to request medals and awards. Provide as much information as possible and send the form to: Bureau of Naval Personnel Liaison Office Room 5409, 9700 Page Avenue St. Louis, MO 63132-5100


Q. How can I get copies of my Service Record or copies of my DD 214 Discharge papers?

A. The National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis offers an electronic method for veterans to obtain documents from their official record that is permanently stored in St. Louis. NPRC has a web-based application system, which can be accessed at the National Archives at St. Louiswebsite. Use the online military personnel records request system to create a customized order form to request information from your, or your relative’s, military personnel records. You may use this system if you are a military veteran, or next of kin of a deceased, former member of the military (next of kin can be any of the following: surviving spouse that has not remarried, father, mother, son, daughter, sister, or brother.)

If you are not the veteran or next of kin, you must complete and mail the Standard Form 180 (SF180) or write a letter to request records. You can obtain the SF180 from this same web site. If you are a military veteran or next of kin may use either the online application system or mail the SF180. The point of contact is the Navy Liaison Office Room 3475, N-34 Military Personnel Records National Personnel Records Center 9700 Page Blvd. St. Louis, MO 63132 phone 314-538-3135 Requests must be submitted in writing using Standard Form 180. You can call to request a copy of SF180 or you may download it from the National Archives website 


Q. I need to purchase some uniforms items for an upcoming ceremony. Where can I order them?

A. Active duty and retired personnel can order uniforms and components through the Navy Exchange Uniform Support Center at 1-800-368-4088. Personnel who did not retire from the service can also get uniform components through the Navy Exchange, but must be able to produce a DD214 or other proof of service.


Q. I'd like to contact someone about an award my ship earned, but which I never received. Who can I ask about this?

A. The point of contact is: Chief of Naval Operations Awards and Special Projects Branch (Code N09B33) 2000 Navy Pentagon Washington, DC 20350-2000


Q. Who do I ask about whether or not I can wear my Navy uniform to ceremonies after I leave the Navy?

A. The point of contact is the Navy Uniform Board Code N09BU 2 Navy Annex Washington, DC 20370 Phone 703-614-5075/6


Q. How would I go about locating a person who is on active duty in the Navy?

A. The best place to start would be at the Bureau of Naval Personnel website.


Q. A Navy retired friend of mine recently passed away and his widow is trying to find out where to call for information on benefits. Where should she call?

A. We suggest starting with Retired Activities information for Navy (1-800-255-8950) or for Marines (1-800-336-4649).


Q. Where can I call to find information on POW/MIA issues?

A. Some points of contact are: Department of Defense POW/MIA Affairs (703-602-2102); National League of Families of American Prisoners Missing in Southeast Asia (202-223-6846); Task Force Omega, Inc. (602-979-5651); VVA National POW/MIA Committee (202-628 2700 ext.118); and the Advocacy and Intelligence Index for POW/MIA (516 567-9057).


Q. Where can I find a listing of all Navy reunion groups?

A. There is no single source of information on reunion groups; however, the Navy Memorial is attempting to become a comprehensive source of information. We now have a listing of approximately 3,400 groups and the last known point of contact for them. When the groups keep us advised, we update this list to include where their next reunion is being held. If you're looking for a specific group, or would like your reunion group’s contact information, web site and meeting dates listed on our web site, please contact the Navy Memorial at 202-737-2300 ext. 720 or e-mail our Sales Office


Q. I'm trying to locate a phone number for Arlington National Cemetery. Can you help me?

A. General Information for Arlington Cemetery is 877-907-8585; Cemetery Administrator can be reached at 703-695-3191; and Burial Arrangements can be reached at 703-695 3250/3255.


Q. Where's a good place to get general information about the Navy online?

A. The Navy website is a good source of general information and has links to many other related areas.


Q. If I make a donation or purchase something from the Ship's Store, does that automatically enter me in the Navy Log?

A. No.


Q. When I enroll in the Navy Log, how long will it take for my picture or information to appear on the Internet?

A. The time to process is approximately six weeks.


Q. Is it possible to get a flag flown over the Navy Memorial?

A. Yes, and you have two options. One is to purchase a flag through the Navy Memorial Ship's Store which has already been flown. The other is to purchase your own outdoor flag and send it to us at: United States Navy Memorial, 701 Pennsylvania Ave., NW, Suite 123, Washington, DC 20004-2608 Attn: Flag Coordinator. Be sure to put the name of the person the flag is honoring and enclose a self-addressed envelope with sufficient postage to cover return mailing.


Q. Where can I find out information about flying flags at other memorials?

A. Take a look at the Navy websiteand look under Ceremonies. There is information on flying flags at many different places.


Q. Where can I get information on Burials At Sea?

A. The Navy's Mortuary Affairs Office can be contacted at 1-800-876-1131.