The United States Navy Memorial hosts wreath laying ceremonies for Reunion Groups holding their annual reunions in the Washington, DC area. The public ceremony is held on the Navy Memorial Plaza and honors the lives and service of Reunion Group shipmates no longer alive.
The ceremony normally consists of:
- Presentation of colors by the U.S. Navy Ceremonial Guard (arranged by the Navy Memorial on an availability basis);
- Invocation by a Reunion Group member (if desired);
- Remarks by a senior Navy Memorial representative;
- Remarks by Reunion Group members (if desired);
- Reading of names of shipmates who passed since the last reunion with the tolling of the bell after each name (if desired);
- Presentation of the wreath at The Lone Sailor© Statue (in inclement weather, the ceremony is held in the theater) by a senior Navy Memorial representative and 2-3 Reunion Group Members;
- Taps performed by a member of the U.S. Navy Band (arranged by the Navy Memorial on an availability basis).
Reunion Groups can order the wreath and arrange other activities at the Navy Memorial through the Operations staff by calling 202-737-2300 or 800-821-8892.